Thursday, October 3, 2013

Different is harder than the same

Today I hung out with a mother who I really enjoy hanging out with. Our kids are within days of age. Our short term goals (gym, play with baby and make dinners) are the same.

Nothing else is.

Parenting styles.
Religion.
Political view.
Career aspirations.
Relationship
Taste in food.
Clothing.
Family.
Education.
Shoes.

Pretty much everything. But I really like hanging out with her and her cute baby.

Today I talked with her in the car while our kids slept (one forward facing, one read facing). And for the first time since my last theological debate (which was probably when we visited friends in DC who are also very different but very the same in food, wine and fun), I discussed my (weird) religious and political ideas.

I was a philosophy minor and (brag alert) team captain of the 2008 national ethics bowl team. But I get nervous talking about what I really, truly believe.

So I'm processing what I said. What I believe. Especially because it's so different. 

Normally when I talk philosophy, I'm talking to Bryan who agrees with me and thinks even crazier things. So it's no pressure. It's fun. It's almost like an us-verse-them, buckley against the "crazy" world. Which is kind of ridiculous because I think were the crazy ones sometimes. 

So today, I was thinking and defending my ideas and defining myself. It's fun, but it's different. It's a thinker!

No comments:

Post a Comment