What happens with a baby?
I don't know anyone else who married a scene partner. I can't actually think of any real comedy friends of mine who married someone else in comedy. Which is odd to me since I can't imagine being with anyone but a fellow improviser, someone to yes and me all the time, someone with a playful heart, someone to take on the road and perform improv while also enjoying a mini vacation where other people on your vacation say how funny you are.
People keep asking about our future plans. Will I continue to perform with my pregnancy? Will we perform with a baby? Will we do improv with our kids?
I don't know. If I could blow magic dust on the future, I'd give myself a reasonably sized belly which would make smoking characters extra funny; I'd make my baby come on my due date, so I can perform all the way up to the delivery; I'd have a baby that was awesome in the car and planes who was chill in the green room, easy for someone to hold during our set (laughing at all the best jokes) and great at afterparties.
And for the most part, my life has gone according to plan. I found love in college that was real and passionate. I graduated with honors in only three years. I married my college sweetheart at the most fabulous New Years wedding. I've had great jobs since graduation including where I was supported by my income at a comedy theatre and now where I get paid to travel around the world. I live in a cute house with my still sexy husband, and I'm pregnant with my first child after a whirlwind of a fun three years of marriage, traveling, performing and partying.
I just have no idea how a baby will change things. It has to: it's a whole new human being. Our relationship, our family dynamic is about to change. I just don't know what it will be like.
I do know that we want to continue performing comedy through my pregnancy. It's been good so far. The bartender at the Ghostlight Theatre pours me root beer since I can't have my cab sav. The audience calls our show a trio now. Other performers tell me that they can't wait for my belly, so we can do pregnany-prov.
I do know that after the baby is here, we may need to take a break from improv. I'm not really ready for this, and I think it will be a tough transition to be without something I love so much. I'm hoping the baby will be so adorable that I won't even miss it...for a little bit.
I do know that we plan to perform in Clemson's Homecoming like last year as it is MTS' 2nd Annual 10th Anniversary Show (I coined the name: how could I not go?). Bryan will definitely perform, and I'm hoping I feel up to it. If not, I'll be in the front row laughing with my baby. How could we not go? It'd be the perfect excuse to see our friends and family again, and to show off what I hope is a cute two month old baby.
I do know that we plan to perform even with our kid. I want our kid to grow up around live comedy, performance arts and jokes. This world can be so depressing when you read the news, read facebook updates and think about cancer.
If there's one thing I want for my child, it's the love of laughter. With two comedian parents, I know this is the one thing I know we can give our baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment