Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine's Day with an Economist


For the past four years, I've spent Valentine's Day with the same man. This man also happens to be an economist. Despite the stereotype that economists aren't romantics, he's done really well. On our first Valentine's Day, he showered me with flowers, a new shirt and a Japanese dinner. On our second Valentine's Day, he was going to propose the next month and didn't want me to think this was it. I got flowers and a cook-in-front of you dinner. On our third Valentine's Day, we were married and we continued the tradition of flowers and a dinner at a habachi Japanese steakhouse. I assumed the tradition would live on forever. I assumed each February 14th, I would wake up to a dozen beautiful pink roses and spend my evening dressed to the nines at an Asian restaurant.

Well, this Valentine's Day my Valentine has a PhD. This Valentine's Day my husband is a doctor of economics. This Valentine's Day my lover is as full-fledged an economist as you can get. And while I knew his economic expertise would impact our finances, our location and his job, I never considered its effect on my love life.

This year, Bryan said to me, "Alyssa, I love you, but I'm not buying you flowers this year."
"This is the only time of year you buy me flowers!" I pouted. Which is a mostly true statement if you leave out the rare instances of I'm-sorry flowers.
"I will buy you anything else. It just has to be a durable good."

And so, I'm at a loss. Partially because I think my husband hates flowers, but mostly because everything you receive on Valentine's Day is not durable: flowers, candy, chocolate, cards, dinner. What could Bryan possibly get for me?

2 comments:

  1. You are genius.

    I get the feeling, though, he's going to go more creative than that. I'm crossing my fingers that even if it's durable, it's still somewhat romantic.

    Otherwise, I'll need to reinstitute the ladies Valentine's Day. I did this in high school and my freshman year of college: girls put their names in a hat and you buy your fellow lady some Valentine's Day throwaways just for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete