
Although I was an English major, I've had a hard time keeping up with my ten books a year routine that I started my sophomore year in high school. Something about the real world squeezes your free time into planning for the next day, making dinner, working out, calling friends, spending quality spouse time and catching up on television.
Until this weekend. I bought myself an old fashioned novel. I could feel the love affair begin. I fingered the spines of the books on the fiction shelves, knowing that one of these crisp stories was going to be mine. Each title that excited me, I picked it up, cradled it in my hand and flipped to a random page. Some of the novels were stale and read like one of those terrible novels they make you read in high school like Obasan or M is for Murder. I never realized how picky I was about my leisurely reading. I wanted a novel that was sexy, one that had a love story just dripping with lust. I wanted a story that was funny - but not cheesy. It had to have a good flow, with words that made me think. And the title had to grab me.
By the time Bryan had found me, I was crouched between the shelves, torn between two novels. One was funny and the story of a Texas woman who, having recently fallen upon hard times, had taken to stripping at a place close to town. She falls for one of the guys, while at the same time trying to keep her secret from her gossipy friends: a definite funny read. The other was slightly erotic and told the story of a fidelity inspection agency owner who must return to "the field" for a particularly difficult case. And her current boyfriend proposes. Oh, the drama and sexuality, but the main character was witty in her banter with a divorce lawyer. So, I went with the latter.
So far it's incredible. I stayed up last night to keep reading, and at work, I just wanted to go home to keep reading. I've broken the dry spell. Reading, my love, how could we have been apart so long? It took such one good novel to get me back. I'm yours again.
(Book review to come when I'm finished reading.)
When I graduated, I was SO excited to be able to read whatever I wanted to read (and not what Dr. Manganelli wanted me to read), but I haven't adequately taken advantage of it. Let me know the title of this novel. Maybe it will break my dry spell as well.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you'll enjoy it as much as I have. I've reeeeeeeeeeally been on a dry spell. I think the last time I read fiction was when I reread Vile Bodies the summer after graduation (almost two years...sad!). I've been reading a lot of nonfiction, but it's just not the same.
ReplyDeleteLove Under Cover. If you want it, let me send it to you. Because some little book fairy sent me an awesome book just yesterday. :)