Today, I returned to work.
And the world didn't implode.
I woke up when Bradley woke up at 6:15. I should've woke at 6am, but I was too tired from the 4am nursing to get myself up and in the shower. I had the sweetest nursing session with the bebe at 6:15 as I thought about how this was the day I'd be apart from him and start the new normal routine.
I put him in the bouncer while I pumped and told him about all the silly things he'd do while I was gone and that he shouldn't love anyone more than me. He thought this was hilarious. Until all of a sudden he didn't and then started screaming. Which woke Bryan and I could shower. After a whirlwind 45 minutes of trying to eat, get halfway dressed, blowdry my hair, pack my purse, make his morning bottle and trying to love on the guy, our nanny was here and I was nursing him for the last morning session. And then all of a sudden, I was driving to work with Bryan.
"It's just like it was before, isn't it?"
"Except you're not pregnant."
"It's just like the good ole days, then."
"You're going to run that stop sign, Alyssa."
My morning flew by. My student staff is 7 girls and 1 boy. Of course, all the girls couldn't stop gushing at the picture of Bradley I brought for my desk or ooohing about my new shoes or how thin I look (I really should get them a raise!). My curmudgeon of boss was even visibly happy to see me saying it's been a nightmare without me, and he's glad I'm back. Okay, so who wouldn't want to have a first day back like that?
Brag alert: I've got a new office with the promotion I was promised and a brand new chair for my recent birthing hips to sit in all day. I mean, going back to work was the easiest thing ever.
Until I had to look at all the work. All morning, I've been in meetings trying to get an idea of where we are in our projects, in our applications, in our current students, in our government registrations, in our study abroads, in our recruitment.
My week is already booked with more meetings and my to do list has grown to a second page. Clearly, this first month back will be busy. And I'm guessing there will be some tears, some mistakes and some frustrations. This is not going to be easy.
At lunch, I ran home to see my baby who was still as cute as I left him, and he had never been more happy to nurse. Apparently, he gave the nanny a thirty minute screaming fest before taking the morning bottle. He took half a second to latch and start lunch with me. Bradley still loves me. Whew.
I went back to work and knocked out a bunch of tasks. One task that should've taken fifteen minutes took me just over an hour - ouch. The transition back to being detail oriented and following complicated procedure is going to be rough!
But, after eight weeks of completing the same tasks over and over and over again, it feels good to do something and know that it's done and won't have to be done again!
I'm happy to have a job and to have a baby. It really is the best of both worlds. I'm sure there will be hard days and days with tears, but thankfully, today wasn't one of them!
Let's see if the rest of the week goes as smoothly as today. Knock on wood.

No comments:
Post a Comment