Happy birthday to my love.
I remember my first birthday with Bryan. It was his 24th and I remember thinking that I'd never be that old. But if I was, I'd have a beer. Hopefully by 24 (if it ever came) would bring maturity to drink something besides Smirnoff or B&J's.
I made Bryan a giant sign and went to the surprise party at Meg's place above Moe's in downtown Clemson. Many of us weren't drinking because we were underage and because it was a Wednesday. But when bryan walked in, it became a party.
Over the years, we've had crazy parties, surprise parties, relaxed dinners for the two of us and mild get togethers with friends.
This year was totally different. Bryan opened his gifts as soon as he woke up, and then played with them as I made the classic chocolate chocolate cake (in the shape of cups). We went out to dinner to a Brazilian steakhouse, perfect for Bryan whose favorite part of dinner is the meat.
Of course, our little baby who is so good at restaurants starts screaming IMMEDIATELY upon being seated. And even though I just fed him in the car, the only thing calming him is my boob. And the waitress just brought a huge glass of cab sav. Crap.
I really hate breast feeding in public. I feel self conscious and I worry that people might lose their appetite. But we were tucked in a corner, so I felt ok. And nothing was calming him. Bryan's birthday dinner was about to tank.
So I nursed through dinner, staring longingly at my wine, having my husband whose birthday it was cut my meat since I only had one hand free. Tr waiter commented on breastfeeding (I always find it awkward when men talk about breastfeeding) and how it was te best thing for baby (and then I remembered the Pregnant in Heels episode with a Brazilian lady-Brazil thinks breast milk is the only way to nourish a baby...so if there was a place to nurse in public, it's be there).
What a difference seven years makes.
I toasted to Bryan, to his eternal youth, his adventures, his awesomeness. I love that guy, and next year we are getting a sitter!




No comments:
Post a Comment