Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Work Trip Post baby: pumping

As I am still breastfeeding my baby (made it three months!), I knew I needed to pump during my trip to keep my supply.

Originally, I planned to dump everything, but the advice of many said to keep what I could and bring it back. So I kept about half.

Pumping in the morning and before bed was no problem. It was my hotel room and my personal time. It was easy.

Pumping during the work day was tough. I didn't bring my pump to the office, and I just popped over every 5 hours to pump when there was a clear break. It wasn't easy, but it was manageable.

Pumping in the airport: wildly different experiences. I didn't pump in Tulsa since I just fed bradley. In Chicago and Vancouver, I used a family bathroom. While not pleasant, it was access to a plug, sink and privacy.

Then I landed in LA where I learned that they have no family bathrooms! And no plugs in regular bathrooms!- I asked a customer service staff member where I could pump and he said over there, pointing to a gate. Not excited, I started to walk there, but a shift supervisor told me I could use her office. What a lifesaver! I pumped in her office in private in a clean chair and thanked her for her kindness.

She breastfed her baby for nine moths. And the lady in the bathroom later when I was dumping and washing, told me she nursed her twins to five months and she remembered doing the same. A wonderful camaraderie.

The only tough part was Canadian security. I told the officer I had a pump and a small section of the bag had milk. She told me that I couldn't have milk without a baby. WHAT?!

Why would I need a pump if I ha my baby? She told me I needed to throw away all my milk, that it wasn't allowed. I read up on my rights prior to the trip, and I know I could travel with milk! I calmly explained myself and she refused, so I requested her supervisor. The supervisor said I could take the milk, but they had to do additional screening - and then they took three bags from my cooler compartment because it was "too much milk." whatever. I kept the other 11 bags. Still, I think illegal.

I mean, I hate pumping. I hadn't pumped in weeks prior to this trip because Bradley has been doing well with my work schedule - and waiting for me. This whole pumping, disassembling, washing, putting away, saving milk process sucks. I hate it. Ao much easier to just give the dude the boob.

But if I don't pump, I'll lose my supply. And while I'm getting to the point of wanting my body back (and exercising and dieting hardcore), I'm not there 100% yet. So I did it. But I did not enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to my vacation this weekend and nursing my baby all the damn time. Screw bottles and pumps!

No comments:

Post a Comment