Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Fly me out of this place

Life is moving at warp speed.

I blink and it's two weeks later. Where has the time gone?

When I returned from my work trip to Canada, I went straight to work for a six hour day without lunch. I took a quick break to nurse, but I forgot to eat. The next day I worked a nine hour day and left in the middle of the night for South Carolina.

We saw Bryan's family -and his mom who is battling as hard as she can against the cancer. We got to see her at the cancer center, and I can't imagine how wonderful it was to hold her grandson after hours of chemotherapy. We shared our fat baby with her all weekend, and I think she felt like she had reason to fight. She kept calling Bradley "Grandma's baby" and I will forever remember Bradley as "Grandma's baby."

We landed Monday night and without time to grocery shop, do laundry, unpack, clean house, it was morning and we both went to work leaving Bradley with the nanny apologizing as we rushed out the door for the state of the house and lack of snacks. Today was a whirlwind with Bryan doing a phone interview (please lord, get us out of here) while Bradley napped, and I worked like crazy catching up on everything and doing extra to make the rest of the week run smoothly.

Tonight, I have to choose from the cleanest clothes we have and re-pack for another trip where we'll leave at 4am to catch our flight to Orlando for my sister's wedding/family reunion. My uncle who I never see (haven't in four years) is flying in with his two kids, and all the family will be there. Everyone wants to see Bradley, of course, and if there's anything I learned from my trip to South Carolina is that he is most definitely Bryan's son: the quieter, smaller the group, the better. Anytime we were in a large group or in a noisy place, he freaked out. Anytime we were alone in a house in a quiet living room, he was laughing and smiling.
And if you know my family, you know we're louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud. And they will all want to hold him. I'm going to have to hope for the best.

My boss is pretty upset with all my travel, but I truly can't help it. I couldn't miss seeing Bryan's mom and I couldn't miss my sister's wedding - I'm the freaking maid of honor. (I refuse to say matron!) But I've trained the new staff person, and I'm available by phone and email all weekend long.

Can someone say a prayer or send good vibes for us as we try to survive our third trip in less than two weeks? And see a million family? And as I try to successfully breastfeed in a bridesmaid dress?

I need a vacation. A REAL one, where I sit in pajamas and read and sleep in and do nothing. That's Thanksgiving. If I can get to next Wednesday, I'll be the happiest lady around.

Don't blink. #drwho

 

No comments:

Post a Comment