Last summer, I killed the garden that came with our house. Within two months. I'll blame it on the hot Oklahoma heat and all the unpacking.
This summer, I'm in need of a new hobby because (for the first time) we aren't moving. Here's what the garden looked like before I got to it.

Notice all the weeds and last year's vines and all that untouched dirt. Under all that, I found big rocks, styrofoam pieces, and root systems that looked like a Wendy Williams wig. I yanked out all of the weeds and big pieces of trash. Good thing I bought a sweet pack of gardening tools from Lowe's. One was a tiny rake. I like to say I was on my knees ho-in' out back.
After an hour of ho-in', the soil was ready. I wanted the soil to be really nutritious, so I threw in an old tomato and the top of my green onions (my father-in-law said I should have waited for them to decompose a little...whoops). Then I planted. Check it out.



I planted some strawberries, onions, green peppers, hot banana peppers, and some crook neck squash. I hope they produce soon! I'm not sure how good I'll be at gardening, but I am already proud of my work. I felt so Oklahoma digging in the dirt, planting green sprouts and wiping sweat off my brow.
It's gonna be a good summer. A hard, challenging summer with hopefully a very bountiful fall.
No comments:
Post a Comment