Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday Brain Dump

Weekends go by too quickly. We spent Saturday morning seeing our friends while their three week old baby napped. Biggest advice they gave us: don't let parents stay in your house and the changing table was the best buy.

Saturday evening, we drove to OKC for some light shopping (Portlandia and Futurama on DVD, ftw) and dinner before our show.

Performing at the Ghostlight has been so much fun. We love the artistic directors and the producers, and they seem to really love our quirky, playful show. I'm always sick and nervous when I hear that we sold out there. And before shows, I like to hang out in the lobby to watch the first group perform and listen to the audience. Often, audience members will approach me and say, "We came just for you guys!" or "I brought my whole office because of your last show!"

Nothing like compliments before a completely unrehearsed show to make a gal even more nervous. Bryan is the perfect improv partner: he's always game for whatever weird character, relationship or senario I throw out, and he will often make me laugh (inside, of course). We talked on the way out how we've been performing together for seven years now, our duo show for five. And yet, each show is different, is the same.

No matter how many shows we do, this one is special. This one is the one we're performing tonight, for those people. There's such a trust with Bryan, and I am confident that even if we have an off night, it will still be a good show. I really feel like the last year has been an incredible performance year for us, definitely our peak.

I wonder how the baby will affect the show. I don't know how soon after the birth that we will be able to make the drive to OKC to perform. I plan on bringing the Pack-n-Play, but what if he cries during our set? I joked about doing a set with him in my Moby wrap, but that's definitely not going to happen.

If we weren't doing so well or having this much fun with improv, I wouldn't be so nervous about the fall. To be honest, I'm nervous that I'll lose my ability to improvise or my comedic instincts. What if having a baby kills all the most cool parts of me? What if I no longer am funny? What if he's a crying mess of a baby and we cannot even break for 30 minutes to perform? We'll just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment