Friday, June 29, 2012

Pregnancy: a review

Since I'm nearing the end, let me share my feelings about this pregnancy.

FIRST TRIMESTER
I took my pregnancy test, showered and expected a negative. I remember standing naked staring and crying at the test. I woke Bryan and we couldn't believe it.

I felt little nausea, never vomitted and felt cute gaining a little weight. At the time, I thought I had a bump. It is clear to me that I didn't. I felt great.

We shared the news with my parents over skype by mailing a package with a Clemson onesie. We shared the news with Bryan's family during a family photo shoot. There were no dry eyes. We shared our news on facebook with a video.

We definitely had the most "what the heck did we do" moments. We were more scared than excited. But this baby was important. This baby was a signal to the future, that there is a future, that there is hope.

The first trimester was the best. I was still skinny, I had an awesome little secret, and I could indulge in some extra calories without too much guilt. I felt so much like myself, and I really had no idea what I was in for.

SECOND TRIMESTER
This trimester took forever. We shared the news of our baby's sex on facebook.

I went to China. My feet started swelling and never really stopped. Standing all day, being in heels and spending 14+ hours in a plane made it worse.

I craved fruits and baked goods. I liked eating tortilla chips with chocolate.

I started weighing more than I ever have in my whole life.


We painted the baby's nursery, bought his furniture, a ton of baby clothes, baby gear and registered for everything else.

We still didn't know what to name him.

I slept all the time. I fell asleep at 10 every night.

I started wearing maternity clothes all the time. I really liked the way my body was changing, and I was in love with my curvy body, including the baby bump.

We had two showers for the baby, and we were amazed by all the generosity of our friends and family.

I felt his first movements, and Bryan felt a few, too.

The second trimester took forever to pass, and I think it was not as wonderful as all the books and the internet say. I certainly was tired and swollen. Yes, I wasn't that big, but it really wasn't as easy as I was hoping for. I felt like myself, but I was fighting big, fat feet and trying not to fall asleep.


THIRD TRIMESTER

I have been so tired after work, or any continuous activity. I like to end my days laying on the couch.

I crave sweet baked goods all the time.

I see the doctor almost weekly, and I am getting more blood drawn, more weigh ins, more measurements than ever. Sometimes I feel like a science experiment.

As the due date approaches, I worry about how work will handle my absence, if everything will be taken care of during my leave. I hired a personal assistant who will handle the daily operations and save the big things for my return.

I freaked out about my nutrition, and I changed my ways. I stopped eating Kraft mac-n-cheese and Cap'n Crunch. I now eat Cheerios with yogurt, salads, protein heavy dinners with lots of veggies, lots of watermelon snacks.

I can only wear maternity clothes.

I got my first stretch marks. I got stuck in the couch for the first time.

The third trimester has been flying by, and maybe that's because there's still lots to go. I feel like myself only I have a giant belly and I like to sit down after awhile.

Bryan claims I'm still sexy and cute, though it's hard to feel like it sometimes. I like the way I look in dresses.

I have a few realistic fears, and I fear the impending labor and delivery, and I really enjoy thinking about when my baby will come and how. Mostly, I'm excited to see what he looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment