Thursday, April 22, 2010

What's up with your Vagina?


In case you were following my vagina's adventure with Paraguard, here's an update. This month has been great for me. I feel a lot better, I've lost three pounds, and I had zero PMS or cramping. My period came right on time yesterday, and my body feels incredible. But, it's routine to see your doctor one full month later. I literally just got home from the doctor. It should have been a simple check up on the IUD.

Should have been. Within minutes of my doctor entering the room, she was looking up at me from between my legs with a look. A look that says something is wrong. In my head, I run through all the worst possibilities: she sees a baby, my vagina has run away, the IUD has rusted the inside of my cervix. WHAT IS IT!?! She says that my IUD has fallen almost out of my cervix and she can see it just through her duck clamp binoculars. She says she's never seen this before, and she leaves. For a long time. I'm trying to remain calm.

She returns with the same nervous look and tells me to follow her to the ultrasound room. I immediately know that I'm pregnant, and I'm terrified to see a tiny bean living inside of me. Hello, that was the opposite of what I wanted! She squirts some cold jelly on my stomach and rubs a wand and I, with as much fear as I am able to feel, search the screen for a tiny baby bean. She shows me the IUD and how it is mostly out of my cervix. She also answers my fear and tells me that there is no baby. But there could be if she doesn't fix this. Apparently, the IUD is ineffective if it isn't in place.

Thirty minutes later, my IUD is back in place, my cervix is sore (again) and my doctor doesn't look nervous anymore. She says my cervix is unusually small (so is my whole body, lady!) and that my lack of birthing children means it is difficult for the IUD to remain in place. I had to set up another appointment to see her and check on the position of my IUD. The day before we move. It better be in place! And there better be no baby Buckley in there!!

I am relieved and happy that my doctor was able to reinsert the IUD (free of charge). I hope that my experience does not scare you, or if it does, that you use this as a launching point to a discussion with your doctor. Every woman is different, and I am apparently the one in a hundred that faces difficulty with IUDs. This freak appointment caused Bryan and me to evaluate our baby plans, and we are still certain that we are not ready for babies. And we are still certain this is the right birth control for us. I'm hoping for a better visit May 27 and a better blog update.

As always, ladies feel free to discuss in the comments or shoot me an email AlyssaMBuckley at gmail dot com.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, scary! Glad everything is ok...baby = nogood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty scared, but it's okay! I'm glad everything is okay, too - and sans baby! I'm hopeful for next month's appt that everything will be in the right position. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete