Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Moving: Step #1

Get rid of things you don't need. Better yet: if you haven't used it in a year, give it away or throw it away.

1.) Start with your closet. The things hung in the very back and the things at the very bottom of your piles are probably the things you never use. Pull them out. If they're nice, mail them to your sisters. If they're still in good condition, donate them.
2.) Hit your kitchen. There are dishes, containers and utensils that never get used. You know the ones: the spatula that is so weak that it can't even handle a pancake - toss it into your recycling. Many Goodwill stores will accept kitchen items.
3.) Check out your bookshelf. Why are you keeping so many books? Do you want to read them? Do you want to impress people? Do you have space for all of them? Loose all the books that won't impress people (basically all the books you have) and any books you wouldn't want to read again. Someone might want them. See if your local schools need library donations; if they do, donate there first. Donate the rest to Goodwill (or friends that might like them).

That should give you a good start. No use in moving things you don't even want.

I'm anti-garage sales for myself, mostly because I don't want to give up an afternoon to sit outside and haggle with neighbors over things that aren't worth anything, but I suppose you could hold a garage sale if you don't value your Saturday afternoons and you like making $10-$20, and still have to take stuff to Goodwill.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I need to send it to my roommate, who is moving out and having an awful time packing. She can't throw anything away! I told her the rule about "if you haven't used it in a year, throw it out" to no avail...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough rule! When I moved from North Carolina to Philadelphia, I tried, but still brought some things I haven't used up here (and didn't use down there). There's a reason why: I just don't like it.

    I'm being really harsh about everything, especially knowing someone out there who has lost a job might be able to get some new clothes or kitchenware for cheap.

    Also, since this is a lady blog, it depends on the time of the month, too. Some days I'm really nostalgic and can't give anything away, even if it's something little and stupid like a shirt that's too small for me. but if it's the week after I've menstruated, I can do anything: run six miles, clean a whole place, reorganize a room AND give away my closet. It's all about knowing yourself and the rhythm of your life. It's a little hippie, but this is what I'm talking about: http://www.menstruation.com.au/periodpages/mooncycles.html

    ReplyDelete