Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday Mind Dump and Goodbye to My First Car

Today is the first day back from spring break, the glorious week off in the middle of the semester, the most wonderful surprise paid vacation mandated by the President. It's lovely.

We had the most awesome vacation. We went to Dallas and bought up the whole town. I'll post pictures of the nursery (that's right! we have stuff now!) and all the most adorable things I bought for our baby. We ate delicious food, saw a movie in a giant fancy theatre and bought way too much stuff. Like literally, we had to return some things because they didn't fit in the car.

Then we went to Chicago. It was even better than last year. We saw incredible shows, workshopped with two of my favorite "friend" instructors, blew the students' minds, ate delicious food, bought some adorable pants for my boy and slept very little. Because comedy doesn't sleep, y'all.

Oh, and we lost my car.



Yeah. My car that I learned to drive in, that I had high school makeouts in, that got hit after a high school party, that I drove around Winter Springs in, that I left at home when I went to Clemson until my parents gave it back to me my senior year, the car that I furiously drove to the DSI theater when I was late but was the only one with the key to let the staff in, the car that I drove to NYC for a spring break, the car that moved me to Philly, the car that drove us to improv in the city, the car that drove me to Oklahoma, the car that I loved: IS GONE. It's in some po-dunk town in Illinois.

Bryan was driving it when all of a sudden it started overheating and smoking. The coolant was gone, and we pulled over to re-fill. We got maybe 30 minutes when smoke came stronger and darker. We emptied the car and put passengers in my car and let Bryan drive it alone. After 10 miles of driving only 30mph, it started smoking black smoke. It's gone. To fix it would be more than $3,000. Had it been in Oklahoma or had we not had 8 people waiting on us or had it not been the day before classes resumed, we may have chosen differently. But alas, it wasn't. It was all of that.

So we said goodbye. I'm so sad. In honor of my Elantra, here's pictures where she was doing her best work:
February Snowstorm

the move to Oklahoma, June 2010

Philly Snow fight with Ben & Adrienne, December 2009


The car we drove away for our honeymoon!

Driving to Florida for our first Christmas together, before the wedding - December 2008

Spring break to NYC - March 2008


Scavenger hunt - Clemson, March 2008


Clemson snow - February 2008


My car has been there for a lot. Five states and eleven years. It's hard to say goodbye, but I think we did the right thing. For now, we have just one car. The brand new car we bought in December. So we're a one car family. I'll take it as a hint that we should be spending more time together.

We work at the same place, so it's not weird to carpool. And our town is super small, so even if I have to run an errand, it won't take me long to get the car back to Bryan. And now we won't need that extra car seat for the baby...


No comments:

Post a Comment