Saturday, June 26, 2010

Understanding my economist

Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to become the means by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of other men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice--there is no other.
— Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

This summer I've been reading Atlas Shrugged. It's Ayn Rand's quintessential text, and it's one of my economist of a husband's favorite books. As I read this incredible book, I'm learning more about Bryan, his philosophy on life and progress, and how important choosing the right woman is.

The story is intricate, a sort of "crazy quest" as the lead Dagny Taggert, acting Vice President of Operations for Taggert Transcontinental Railroads, tries to solve the mystery of why people are pulling out of the market, why the greatest philosopher of all time is a cook at a diner, how to keep the American economy progressing despite efforts by public opinions and politicians in Washington constantly thwarting efforts sans any real evidence of necessity besides stale phrases about profit and greed. It's probably one of the best reads of my life. It's transforming me. I can understand why Bryan loves this book, and I would love to geek out about Atlas Shrugged with anyone else who takes on the challenge of the 1000+ page novel that shakes your ideas on how the world should function.

I will continue to post my favorite posts from my reading. There are so many wonderful passages. And I'm on my way to learning, "Who is John Galt?"

No comments:

Post a Comment