Thursday, December 1, 2011

Calm Before the Storm


It is said that the present is pregnant with the future.
Voltaire


This is the month we learn about Bryan's job opportunities. Between now and January 6, we are expecting calls from the universities he's applied to. We have been through this stressful process three times already, and we're embarking on number 4.

I know that there's a very good chance that nothing will come of the applications, that some amazing 45 year old economist with the same interests and courses could be applying to the same positions as Bryan and that we'll remain in Oklahoma for another year or two.

But there is a teeny tiny part of me hoping for different. A very tiny wish for a campus on the East Coast to be close to family, mine or Bryan's or both, friends, and a culture we know.

Bryan's nervous, and I'm nervous, and I'm just wishing we could just know now what next year holds for us. Where will we be? What will we be doing? How will we be feeling?

I can't fast forward. All I know is that we'll make the best of it. We're doing alright in Oklahoma, we did wonderfully in Philadelphia, we did fabulously in Chapel Hill, and we were great in Clemson. We must cling to each other, to improv and to hard work, and it will work out.

But if you know anyone at Furman...put in a good word for Dr. Buckley.

No comments:

Post a Comment