This weekend, Bryan and I did what we do best: team up and improvise.
Friday we performed to a full house. We gave our new small town of Tahlequah, Oklahoma their first taste of improv - and for many, their first live comedy show. Imagine the buzz of that kind of audience. Do you remember your first comedy show? My first improv show was at SAK Comedy Lab in Orlando, and I remember being amazed that they were making everything up and amazed at how funny these people were, right in front of me.
Friday's show was one of my favorite shows of all time. The audience was into it, my friends from work came and lots of people were taking pictures throughout the show. Afterwards, they even asked for Bryan and my autographs! It was surreal. Everyone came out to the local bar to hang out with us, ask questions and learn about auditions.
I've never been a part of creating an improv team, and I can understand now how Bryan must have felt nine years ago when he created Mock Turtle Soup. When I got into MTS, it was fully formed and already rolling. When I moved to DSI, it was established and had a great group. When I moved to Philly, the N Crowd was celebrating its 5 year anniversary. This is my first taste of a new improv scene, and I am loving it. Today, we have an interest meeting and Tuesday we have auditions. I am so hopeful for this new team and the scene in this small town.
These people don't go out very often, mostly because there's not much going on in town. I want live comedy to be the thing of this town, the thing that keeps people out late and the thing people can get excited about. More to come after auditions.
That is so exciting. Clemson Improv takes over the nation, one city at a time! I'd love to hear how auditions go and what not.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Harrison! Auditions are tomorrow. I'm hopeful. The interest meeting last night was well-received and people stayed late just to play more games. This town has never seen improv before. Imagine that virgin improviser. It's really fun. It reminds me of my auditions for MTS. Back when I thought Justin hated me.
ReplyDelete