Friday, March 19, 2010

Flexing My Risk Muscle

Everyone has a 'risk muscle.' You keep it in shape by trying new things. If you don't, it atrophies. Make a point of using it at least once a day.
Roger Von Oech

Until just this week, I'd been a victim of routine. Of the same breakfast, of the same commute, of the same job, of the same tv shows, of the recipes, of the same mindset. Not anymore.

This week, I turned over a new leaf, started my new life path. In only three days, I have:
-gotten a new haircut (only to find out my hair is changing to become more wavy: see, my body is on board with this!)
-joined a new improv team
-asked to do more exciting things in Admissions and was granted the opportunity
-made three very new, different dinners
-mixed yogurt, cereal, fruit, cinnamon and honey for breakfast
-emailed some old friends
-skyped with four new people
-cut out inspirational fashion and design from magazines
-looked at new housing
-gotten a massage
-had a very important doctor appointment
-changed the way I do my makeup
-found a new way to get to work
-switched sides of the bed with Bryan
-played hooky with Bryan all day just to sleep, hump and play video games
-watched an old movie favorite
-gave my heart to Twitter this week, instead of facebook
-called my grandparents
-found new ways to wear old pieces of clothes
-dropped a bomb on a few of our friends

This is a new beginning. This is a new chapter. Change and new things are my new routine. I've already done four new things and I haven't even left for work. It feels like that Lewis Carroll quote: I've believed six impossible things before breakfast. And I have. Saddle up, boys, this ride is gonna be crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, we need to have a skype date soon. SOOOO MUCH TO TALK ABOUT.

    And I'm planning big changes soon too... so we should commiserate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to skype date for sure. Give me a night that you're free, lady!

    I can't wait to hear about your big changes.

    ReplyDelete