Thursday, January 6, 2011

2011: The Year of Nice and No Farts

RESOLUTION #1: BE NICE
What this world needs is a new kind of army - the army of the kind. ~Cleveland Amory

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Don't be yourself - be someone a little nicer. ~ Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

This year, my new year's resolution is simple: be nice. All year, all day, to everyone. I'm only thirteen days in, and already, I've messed up. It was only twice.

I have been holding my tongue, holding doors, writing notes, smiling more, buying lunches, giving compliments, looking out for my coworkers, my friends and Bryan. I'm pausing before I speak and I act, and I've been surprised at two things. One, that it isn't my first instinct to drop what I'm doing to help someone. I don't remember when I became so absorbed in myself that I can't help strangers. This is the year that changes me. Already, I can feel myself looking for ways to help out. I say yes faster and "How can I help?" more than I did in the past twelve days than the last half of last year. So far, so good.


RESOLUTION #2: NO FARTING
I've never shied away from a good fart joke. ~ Eugene Levy

And there's that one, too. Not farting probably could fall under my first resolution if you were a good debater, but it's in its own category for a reason. My farts don't smell (because I'm a lady), but somewhere between the Philadelphia and Oklahoma, I thought it was hysterical to fart. The joke is over...at least for 2011.

NOTE: I also completed last year's resolution: Read 12 Books in One Year. I'm going to make it two years in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment