It's finals week, and the library is open 24 hours. I'm a day staff, so I open the library at 7:30 in the morning, and I get to leave at a lovely 4:00 in the afternoon. But, in an effort to bond with my friends on the night staff and mix it up a little (and help with staffing, I suppose), I'm working today from 3pm to midnight.Most things at the library are quite normal: students needing help finding books for class or a paper, students needing help with Word or Excel, patrons not believing that we let you borrow dvds for free, helping with printing and a student staff that is (for the most part) stellar.
Most things that happen at the library during finals week are not normal: a group of two guys streaking the first floor, a unibomber in the corner talking loudly about blowing people up, stolen toilet paper, stolen "free" energy drinks, snoring on the couches, bathroom (sex) quickies, laptop crashes and day staff working nights.
It's nearly the end of the semester, and it's been a tough one for me. I'm thankful that tomorrow is the last day of finals and next week is my last day of work of 2010. (Reflections coming soon.) Tonight, I'm ordering Chinese food for the students (and my friend Stephanie, the other supervisor). I am betting none of them will call in sick. Let's just hope I can keep alert and be helpful until midnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment