Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Postsecret That I Recognized

Just three weeks ago, PostSecret posted this secret:
And I recognized the handwriting. There are only four or five people whose handwriting I would recognize. This one screamed her name to me. I'd written notes after notes for years on end to this friend, we'd kept friendship notebooks. I'm too afraid to contact her because it's such a sad secret. What would I say to her? How would I say it? Calling? Facebook? Would she deny that it was hers?

In a lame attempt to avoid the awkward conversation with her, I'm going to blog what I think, what I'd say if I knew the proper etiquette of finding an old friend's secret on the internet.

Dearest friend,
I love you, and I remembered how much I missed exchanging notes with you when I saw your writing. I read your blog, and we exchange heartfelt email updates often. I wish you could tell me you feel like this, so I could tell you how proud of you I am.

You've found the love of your life, you're living in the city in which you fell in love and you are dreaming big. You're writing a lot, and you're dipping your toes in the industry you want to spend your career. I think you're doing fantastic! In fact, I'm upset that you don't want anyone to turn out like you. Hell, if we had a world of yous, we'd be a skinny, proactive world-changing society.

I'm sorry it feels like you've gone off the path you wanted to be on. Perhaps you'll be able to travel to Africa and change lives. Perhaps you'll be a pastor. Perhaps God just wants you where you are. I think if you left your town, you would be missed. There would be a gaping hole where you were, and someday, you'll need to leave. You'll need to leave for a fantastic audition or a yearlong mission trip or something else amazing. Right now, focus on yourself, focus on your man, focus on your writing, and continue to be amazing. I think you are amazing, and I know you used to, too.

I hope to see you soon. Because I'm taking you to Wendy's and we'll do it up like old times.

Love,
Alyssa

To my other readers, excuse me for the this blatant exclusion. If you have ideas on how to handle anonymous secrets that aren't so anonymous, fill me in.

2 comments:

  1. Read what others have to say about this secret:

    http://www.postsecretcommunity.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=329902

    Maybe your friend isn't a victim of domestic violence, but if she is, you need to reach out to her in more than just your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the concern. My friend who I thought wrote it actually reads my blog, and she contacted me to say that it wasn't her secret, though the handwriting is pretty close.

    ReplyDelete