Saturday, December 19, 2009

Lady Skills Assessment Test

This week is a test of my lady skills. I have single-handedly finished my last week of work, cleaned the whole place, planned and executed a Christmas party, picked up and entertained two guests in our home, cleaned out the fridge and prepared an itinerary for the trip. All the while, I made my professor of a husband lunches and welcomed him home with dinner each night after a long day of giving exams and submitting final grades.

Today is my final exam of my Lady Skills Assessment Test. It's a three part exam - with a layer of snow, for added difficulty.

PART ONE: Empty The Home of Guests (in the snow)
This morning, Bryan and I will take our two guests, whom we love and with whom we had a blast, out to breakfast (god forbid we dirty more dishes!). Then, in this twenty degree weather and falling snow, we'll take them into the city, so they can return to the warm South. And then, we'll have to make it back to our place before the snow becomes too dangerous.

PART TWO: Cleaning the After-Party/After-Guest Mess (in the snow)
Like a true lady with skills, I pride myself (and thoroughly enjoy) coming home to a clean place. The tough part is getting it done. Now, because it's a final exam, I'll have the extra of party mess and snow. I am hoping to recruit Bryan to take out the trash in the snow (hey, that's a pretty good lady skill anyway). But there's wrapping paper, wine bottles, bowls, serving dishes, cups, wine glasses, shot glasses and probably other things I'm forgetting lying about the place. In addition, there will be sheets to wash, pillows and blankets to stash away, towels to wash and another bathroom to cleanse. Whew. I'm exhausted and I haven't even completed any of these tasks.

PART THREE: Packing (in the snow)
Okay, the snow is not quite an added difficult here, but it's still there. They predict 10-20 inches in our area. I can't imagine what that looks like! Anyways, the packing is the part I dread the most. Partially because we're limited on space since we're flying), but mostly, because we'll be gone for 3 weeks, in four different locations (thankfully, all Southern). It will be tricky to find something to wear to Bryan's family's small Christmas day and to a Kentucky reunion and to my parents' church and to our anniversary dinner and to Bryan's economics conference. Oh, and the temperatures will vary from 70s to the teens over the course of our trip. Wonderfully challenging, I'd say.

If I can do this, all the powers of ladydom are mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment