Monday, October 18, 2010

Homemade Pesto

Most days of the week, I make my lunch. The things I can make during my lunch hour AND get a nap are limited. So, I eat a lot of deli sandwiches. Sandwiches are great because they are healthy and cheap.

Bring some pizzaz back to your sandwich with this homemade pesto. It is so freaking good I wanted sandwiches for dinner, too!


Homemade Pesto
Great as a sandwich spread or mixed in with pasta.

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
  • 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine everything in a food processor. Spread onto bread and toast.

I halved the recipe and had plenty! I am so excited to eat my sandwich later today.

4 comments:

  1. I've been talking about making my own pesto forever but never actually tried dong it! Any tips, or is it that easy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was unbelievably easy. Seriously, throw it in a food processor. I dumped it straight into a glass container that can go into the fridge after I spread it on my bread. I'm planning to use the rest with pasta tomorrow night.

    I bet you could add mayo if you wanted it creamier, but I thought it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did mostly because I didn't want to pay $5 for a small jar of it. Basil is only $2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. I'm gonna try it! Also, I apparently can't type on my phone, so sorry for all the typos before :)

    ReplyDelete