Thursday, January 22, 2015

Clark Arthur: seven weeks old

Clark is adorable. He is just so cute. I haven't held but one newborn since Bradley and all the cute of newborn cuddles is not lost on me.

I'll need to write about his birth, but I'll go ahead and say that of all three of if (Bryan, Bradley and myself), Bradley was the one to never skip a beat. He welcomed baby Clark like he was always here. He talks in a high pitched voice when he talks about Clark or to Clark. He gives hugs and kisses and toys. Clearly, he was meant to be a big brother.

Clark is a champ. Little dude is rocking all of Bradley's hand me downs, including the crib. I did buy new sheets and redecorate so instead of monsters, his nursery is nautical. 

Clark's absolute favorite thing is to be held. He doesn't discriminate how or by whom. He just wants to feel the love. Hold him and he won't care about dirty diapers, eating, being cold, being hot, or a house on fire. He's quite a cuddler. I like to joke that he thinks he's a firstborn.

Like Bradley, we've been putting Clark to sleep in his crib at night and for naps. He has been a much less sleepy baby than Bradley usually sleeping 1.5-2 hours. Just at six weeks, his naps started teaching three hours and his first sleep of the night is 4-5 hours long. It is hard having a newborn who doesn't sleep for long stretches when I've been sleeping through the night for two years now, since Bradley was seven months old. I am very ready for longer stretches that just HAVE to be on the horizon.

That being said, Clark is a very happy newborn. He really doesn't cry except to tel us he's awake from a nap, that he has a dirty diaper and rarely (usually 4-5 hrs between feedings) that he's hungry. Mostly, he just wants to be held. Whereas Bradley would cry often and I could fix any problem with a boob, Clark refuses to eat unless he's hungry and won't be calmed by extra nursings, just cuddles.

Clark smiled for the first time (for real) at five weeks! I couldn't believe it, and neither could Bryan. We have a very smiley baby! What? We didn't know they actually existed. Turns out they do. And every time it's adorable. I have not gotten used to his smiles in these two weeks and each time has me scrambling for a camera like I've just sighted Big Foot.

Clark rolled over for the first time yesterday, right at 7 weeks! I couldn't believe it. Bryan was there and Clark was doing tummy time and all of a sudden he flipped to his back. This is so crazy! I have to look it up but it must have taken Bradley at least another month or two do roll over. I wouldn't have believed Clark did it except that I was there.


Clark is already on a schedule that he created. He wakes at 7-7:30, eats plays and then naps from 8:30-10:30. Eat and play, naps from 12-3 (on great days) or 12-2 then 2:30-4 (on good days), then eats and plays until 5. He naps in the bouncer while we eat dinner and is usually up at 6 to share in the chaos of bedtime routine. Most nights both kids are asleep in their beds by 7. Clark has been sleeping until about midnight, then is up at 3:30, 5 and then 7. A lot of sleep but never enough in a row.

His stats for one month and 11 days:
Height 23 inches (92%)
Weight 10 lbs 15 oz (55%)
Head Circumference 15 inches (66%)

Compared to Bradley at one month exactly:
Height 21 inches (50%)
Weight 9 lbs 9 oz (75%)
Head Circumference 15 inches (90%)

No comments:

Post a Comment