
Ways Oklahoma is Changin' Me
patience
In the last two months, I've waited, bit my tongue and slowed down. I'm learning to find my way in this new culture, and I'm learning that speed is not as important in Oklahoma as it is on the East Coast.
eating habits
People here either drink all the time or not at all, so meeting up for drinks is not going to happen. Every social interaction revolves around food - and lots of it. I'm not yet used to the giant portions, the six different Mexican restaurants or seeing buffalo at the grocery store.
responsibility
Never before have I had this much responsibility. We have more bills this year with our house and now life insurance. My job requires me to open the library at 7am, handle some books and supervise some students. My comedy improv performances are in my own hands. With a house comes more chores, mowing the lawn, weeding, watering and more sweeping. Christ, I feel like a "real" adult.
my marriage
When we lived in North Carolina, my relationship with Bryan did not change much, even though we were married during our time there. When we moved to Philadelphia, we had nobody but each other for about three months; thankfully, it brought us together. Here in Oklahoma, we're on the same team. It's us against the world, and we're back to being like college students. Maybe it's the town's lack of activities that remind us of Clemson or maybe it's that Bryan has his dream job and he can finally relax. Whatever it is, I love it. We're staying up late making rice krispie treats and eating from the pan. We're tickling and wrestling and showering together. We're planning improv shows. It feels like college to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment